Saturday, April 13, 2013

All Is Grace - in memory of Brennan Manning...

I never got to meet Brennan Manning, although I did listen to him speak once down in Roseville.  He was so brutally honest - it was refreshing.  He was as jacked up a guy as you can get (total alcoholic - at one point he was a homeless bum wandering the streets looking for food in the trash - he was THAT guy) - and he knew God’s grace all the more because of it.  He is the male counterpart of Anne Lamott - for sure.  I was so sad when I heard he had passed away.  I look forward to reading his most recent book - All is Grace - a ragamuffin memoir.  

With him in mind, I decided to share some books that have helped me see a clearer picture of our Savior.  I believe that faith has a lot to say about death - and that's why I'm point in that direction today.

Outside of the actual scriptures - these guideposts have steered me to see Jesus as bigger and better than I ever would have imagined as a kid.  Some of these books are really challenging to those that are in the "normal" faith community.  My hope is that they would dare you to see Jesus in a new light - the light of uncompromising grace that is acted out in real life to everyone - including those in the margins of society.  Don't be afraid to stretch - stretching is good before running a race.  

So - yeah - I thought I’d pass them on.  Good stuff - especially if you're looking for something good to read.  Summer is coming!

I shared the title - gave a little commentary - then put a quote from each book.  You don’t have to read my thoughts - but read the books.  Good stuff!  (No links - just go to Amazon)



1.  A Million Miles in a Thousand Years by Donald Miller.  This book was surprising.  I had read Blue Like Jazz, Through Painted Deserts, and Searching for God Knows What - and thought they were all good.  But - Million Miles was different.  It made me want to live a better life - actually get off my butt and do something.  I’ve read (and heard - I have the audio version too) this book at least 10 times.  For some reason, it doesn’t get old.  I laugh - and some parts - get teary eyed.  It’s definitely on the top five list of all time favorites.  

“If you watched a movie about a guy who wanted a Volvo and worked for years to get it, you wouldn’t cry at the end when he drove off the lot, testing the windshield wipers. You wouldn’t tell your friends you saw a beautiful movie or go home and put a record on to think about the story you’d seen. The truth is, you wouldn't remember that movie a week later, except you’d feel robbed and want your money back. Nobody cries at the end of a movie about a guy who wants a Volvo.  But we spend years actually living those stories, and expect our lives to be meaningful. The truth is, if what we choose to do with our lives won't make a story meaningful, it won’t make a life meaningful either”  Million Miles...

2.  “Love Does” by Bob Goff.  I heard about Bob Goff from “Million Miles” because some of the stories in Don’s book were about Bob.  These stories were ridiculous.  On the day it came out, I got the book (Don’s blog recommended it) and I really didn’t expect much, to be honest.  But - again - I was surprised.  Bob just thinks differently.  He trusts Jesus differently.  I can’t even put my finger on it.  I got to hear him speak about a month ago - and - again - there’s just something different with him.  He wasn’t the greatest speaker - no frills - or anything flashy.  But I walked away thinking “I want what he has.  Whatever it is - I want that.”  When you read his book - you’ll think - impossible.  But it’s not - I’ve seen slides.  I love his push for us to get off our butts and do something (Love Does).  One of my favorite quotes from the conference he was speaking at:  “We need to stop agreeing with each other.  We all sit in our churches and agree with each other.  And when we don’t agree - we go to a different church where we do agree.  We need to stop agreeing and start doing!”  We are not known by what we think - or agree with - we are known by what we do.  So convicting - and so good.  Read this book - it’ll change the way you live.  I know a book is good when I give it away to friends.  I’ve given this book to about 30 people... 

“Living a life fully engaged and full of whimsy and the kind of things that love does is something most people plan to do, but along the way they just kind of forget. Their dreams become one of those "we'll go there next time" deferrals. The sad thing is, for many there is no "next time" because passing on the chance to cross over is an overall attitude toward life rather than a single decision.” Love Does


3.  How God Became King” by N. T. Wright.  Finally - the gospel!  Jesus’ gospel.  In our culture - the gospel is a marketing plan of salvation - unfortunately.  This book will give you a better understanding of Jesus’ gospel.  It’ll challenge the predominant viewpoint that’s often preached in American Christian Culture.  I LOVED it - so good.  N.T. Wright is a bit on the deep end of thinking - but this is foundational stuff.  If I were teaching a class on the gospel - this would be one of my required texts. 

“The “kingdom of heaven” is not about people going to heaven. It is about the rule of heaven coming to earth.”  How God Became King


4.  Screwtape Letters” by C.S. Lewis.  This is the book that inspired me to read the Bible for the first time.  I knew a whole bunch of prominent scriptures, but didn’t really know the whole story.  I had even been a “Christian” for four or five years at that point.  This book helped me realize how ignorant I really was.  When a photographer takes a picture - he uses the negative to create the photo (at least, before digital photography).  This is the “negative” of the gospel.  It’s about demons - the devil - and temptation.  But it gives a great picture of the light - through it's negative.  Very clever.  Before reading C.S. Lewis, I thought all Christians were stupid.  Stupid, in the "not well-read - not academic - not deep thinking" kinda way.  He completely destroyed that stereotype - which led me to discover many other very intelligent Christians I didn't know existed. haha  Other amazing books of his to mention:  The Great Divorce (about hell), Mere Christianity (Lectures), Narnia (gospel in a children’s book), and the Weight of Glory (heaven). 

“It is funny how mortals always picture us as putting things into their minds: in reality our best work is done by keeping things out.” Screwtape Letters.


5.  The Jesus I Never Knew” by Philip Yancey.  This book was instrumental in helping me look away from “religion” and onto Jesus.  It’s the simple story of Jesus through the lens of biography writer.  His insights into Jesus’ temptation were very eye opening for me.  I remember reluctantly picking this one up (not wanting to read it) and I was hooked after the first couple chapters.  This was one of those foundational books for my faith.  Another great book by Philip Yancey is “What’s so Amazing about Grace” - simply awesome - so good.  “Soul Survivor”, “Church, Why Bother?” and “The Bible Jesus Read” are also good reads.  

“When Jesus came to earth, demons recognized him, the sick flocked to him, and sinners doused his feet and head with perfume. Meanwhile he offended pious Jews with their strict preconceptions of what God should be like. Their rejection makes me wonder, could religious types be doing just the reverse now? Could we be perpetuating an image of Jesus that fits our pious expectations but does not match the person portrayed so vividly in the Gospels?” - Jesus I Never Knew


6.  God Came Near” by Max Lucado.  When I was a baby Christian (I didn’t even really know I was alive in Christ - ha!) my football coach pointed me to some books by Max Lucado.  I devoured them.  I read “God Came Near”, “And the Angels Were Silent”, “In the Eye of the Storm”, “Six Hours One Friday”, “When God Whispers Your Name,” “On the Anvil”, “Gentle Thunder”, and “He Still Moves Stones”.  These were easy to read books that gently steered me towards a better picture of Jesus.  It’s funny, I hadn’t read the bible for years and when I was convicted to do so from C.S. Lewis - I read it, I kept having these “Wait, I’ve read that story” moments - all over the scriptures.  It’s because of Max Lucado - I had been reading scriptures through his simple commentaries without even knowing it.  I’ll always appreciate these books because of that.  (I love his early books - but haven’t really read his new stuff)  

“Christ entered our world, and as a result, we can enter His.”  God Came Near


7.  Love Wins” by Rob Bell.  The first chapter of this book is brilliant.  It made me laugh out loud multiple times.  The rest of the book is good - but the first chapter - wow.  Anyone that’s ever been a skeptic and then worked in Christian ministry can relate.  He points out some of the greatest inconsistencies for the defense of the modern day gospel I’ve heard - it’s hilarious.  It’s interesting that Christians slammed him for this effort - yet he points to Jesus of the scriptures over and over again.  And the really fascinating thing is that many unbelievers saw what he had to say as good news.  Isn't that a bit odd?  I LOVE an author that has the balls to not shy away from controversy.  It’s a stupid controversy - but - gosh - so glad he went for it.  That conversation's still ongoing today.  Rob Bell also has a sermon out that’s called “Everything is Spiritual” - soooo good.  I highly recommend watching it.  His “Poets, Prophets, and Preachers” series is also really good. 

“Some communities don't permit open, honest inquiry about the things that matter most. Lots of people have voiced a concern, expressed a doubt, or raised a question, only to be told by their family, church, friends, or tribe: "We don't discuss those things here."I believe the discussion itself is divine. Abraham does his best to bargain with God, most of the book of Job consists of arguments by Job and his friends about the deepest questions of human suffering, God is practically on trial in the book of Lamentations, and Jesus responds to almost every question he's asked with...a question.” Love Wins


8.  The Shack” by William P. Young.  I don’t know about you - but when certain Christians want to start banning things - that really peeks my interest.  The Shack was one of those.  I read it - and loved it.  The author wanted his kids to have a better understanding of the heart of God the Father - so he wrote this book.  In the Scriptures, Jesus would often tell parables (stories that reveal the heart of the Father) - and this book is along those same lines.  Some people confuse this story with a manifesto or something - and they get all bent out of shape.  It’d be funny, if it weren’t so sad.  But, what can you do?  Anyway - some themes from the book:  How does God view a serial killer?  What’s the trinity like?  What’s God’s judgment like?  Is God in complete control?  What’s God like?  Why do bad things happen - and how does God see it?  And so much more.  It’s a quick read - novel type story - until it takes a swift left turn at around page 80-ish.  Keep plowing through - it’s well worth it.  

“All I want from you is to trust me with what little you can, and grow in loving people around you with the same love I share with you. It's not your job to change them, or to convince them. You are free to love without an agenda.” The Shack


9. Jesus Through Middle Eastern Eyes” by Kenneth Bailey.  This book is amazing.  It helped me see Jesus’ parables in a completely new light.  I had always thought of the parables as just teachings on ethics - how to live as a Christian.  I discovered that I was very short sighted - they’re more about the revelation (revealing) of God and His teaching on His very costly grace.  I was way off.  Jesus Himself lived out His parables in His actual life.  This book helped me understand that grace is a costly love for God - even though it's free for me.  This book also changed how I view the Christmas story - at least - the popular version of Christmas we hear every year.  Bailey brings context to the story of Jesus.  It’s a bit textbook-ish in parts - but is sooooo worth it.  Paradigm shifting - no joke.  There’s a bit of “National Treasure”-ish to this book as well.  I began to see that there’s much more to the writings of the New Testament than I ever would have thought - hidden gems.  This would also be a book on my required texts if I had a class.  It’s not a casual read.  

“FOR SIXTY YEARS, FROM 1935-1995, my home was in the Middle East. With a childhood in Egypt and forty years spent teaching New Testament in seminaries and institutes in Egypt, Lebanon, Jerusalem and Cyprus, my academic efforts have focused on trying to understand more adequately the stories of the Gospels in the light of Middle Eastern culture. This book is a part of that continuing endeavor.”  Jesus Through Middle Eastern Eyes.

10.  My Upmost for His Highest” by Oswald Chambers.  This daily devotional is very challenging - almost like a wrecking ball to my assumptions in some places.  It’s amazing how deep Chambers can get in one page.  I’ve not really encountered anything else like it.  So short - so deep.  In my experience, this is a book that should be read with a group of people.  When I read it by myself - I often think - huh?  But with others - it opens up in ways I wouldn’t have thought possible.  It’s good to read it alone too - there are some really good entries, but - others have different lenses - and can bring stuff out that wouldn’t be seen alone.  

Do not look for God to come in any particular way, but look for Him. That is the way to make room for Him. Expect Him to come, but do not expect Him only in a certain way. However much we may know God, the great lesson to learn is that at any minute He may break in. We are apt to over look this element of surprise, yet God never works in any other way. All of a sudden God meets the life – "When it was the good pleasure of God."  Highest...


11. The Ragamuffin Gospel by Brennan Manning.  There are two things about this book that I really loved.  First - grace.  Brennan Manning was a deep believer in the Grace of God.  Unconditional Grace.  This is the love we’re all searching for - and this is the grace he discovered in his life.  This book will make legalistic christians uncomfortable.  Maybe that’s why I love it so much.  Second - Honesty.  In the realm of Christian books - honesty is a rare commodity.  It’s not that authors or speakers try to be dishonest (sadly - some do), it’s that they don’t always tell the whole story - the good, the bad, and the ugly.  Most authors and speakers talk about the good - and reference the bad in context - and stay away from the ugly.  Brennan lives in all three at the same time.  It’s refreshing.  It’s never finger pointing.  It’s just grace pointing.  No one is disqualified from God’s grace. 

“The story goes that a public sinner was excommunicated and forbidden entry to the church. He took his woes to God. 'They won't let me in, Lord, because I am a sinner.'  'What are you complaining about?' said God. 'They won't let Me in either.” Ragamuffin Gospel 


12.  Traveling Mercies” by Anne Lamott.   This book is another honest look at faith.  It’s about how God reached through the darkness of a person’s life to offer a love only He can give.  It also shows at what length God will go to reach a person - even after an abortion - in the middle of a drug and alcohol binge:  

“‘I began to cry and left before the benediction, and I raced home and felt the little cat running along at my heels, and I walked down the dock past dozens of potted flowers, under a sky as blue as one of God’s own dreams, and I opened the door to my houseboat, and I stood there a minute, and then I hung my head and said, “Fuck it: I quit.” I took a long deep breath and said out loud, “All right. You can come in.” So this was my beautiful moment of conversion. And here in dust and dirt, O here, The lilies of his love appear.”  Traveling Mercies: Some Thoughts on Faith 

13.  "Let Me Tell You a Story" - by Tony Campolo.  I had a big mistrust from media presentations of the gospel until I watched the sermon “It’s Friday, But Sunday’s a comin’!”  I would have to say that this sermon, and watching Charlie Brown Christmas around the same time, helped save my faith.  Skip most of those other books - I wouldn’t be where I am today if it weren’t for that timely talk.  Tony’s written quite a few books, but his story book is one of my favorites - mostly because of the story at the end of the book - the Agnes Story.  I get teary eyed every time I read it.  In a previous blog - I linked to Tony telling that story.  I’ve been fortunate to meet Tony twice - both at Youth Specialty Conferences.  One of my favorite quotes by him at a Christian Conference:  “I have three things I’d like to say today. First, while you were sleeping last night, 30,000 kids died of starvation or diseases related to malnutrition. Second, most of you don’t give a shit. What’s worse is that you’re more upset with the fact that I said shit than the fact that 30,000 kids died last night.”  haha.  Pretty much...  Love it.  Here’s a quote from the book - Agnes Story:  

“When I finished (praying), Harry leaned over the counter, and said, "Hey!  You never told me you were a preacher.  What kind of church do you belong to?"
    In one of those moments when just the right words came, I answered, "I belong to a church that throws birthday parties for whores at three-thirty in the morning."
    Harry waited a moment, then he answered, "No you don't.  There's no church like that.  If there was, I'd join it.  I'd join a church like that!"
    Wouldn't we all?  Wouldn't we all love to join a church that throws birthday parties for whores at three-thirty in the morning?
    Well, that's the kind of church Jesus came to create!  I don't know where we got the other one that's so prim and proper.  But anybody who reads the New Testament will discover a Jesus who loved to party with whores and with all kinds of left-out people.  The publicans and "sinners" loved Him because He partied with them.  The lepers of society found in Him someone who would eat and drink with them.  And while the solemnly pious could not relate to what He was about, those lonely people who usually didn't get invited to parties took to Him with excitement.
    Our Jesus was and is the Lord of the party. . .”  Let Me Tell You a Story


Well - go to Amazon - get a book - and go get reading!  

And have a great day...

Jer



No comments:

Post a Comment