Saturday, May 7, 2011

The Common Sense of Practicing

I think the people that learn how to "like" practicing are the ones that so often succeed in life. It doesn't matter what kind of practicing they do - when practicing is a high value, there is usually huge success. It's because practicing is a really good discipline.

When I was younger, my friends and I played street football all the time - every day. We created our own plays, learned how to juke, learned the physics of throwing - etc. But we never considered it practice. It was just fun. When I played football for the first time for a team, I noticed that I jumped ahead of a lot of friends because of the years of playing back home. I knew things by "instinct" - but the truth is that I had practiced for years without even knowing it.

I've had the opportunity to coach kids for years. The kids that seem to be the most successful are the ones that work on themselves outside of the practice field. One of the students I coached made it to the NFL - he stood apart from the rest of the kids I've observed by his discipline. I've coached many kids with equal - or more - talent, but I've rarely coached one with more discipline. This "discipline" wasn't a huge sacrifice because he loved the game. And now he's reaping the rewards.

The art of practice doesn't just apply to sports. It applies to all aspects of life. I wouldn't know how to play the guitar if not for the years of practice - hours and hours of frustration. Looking back, it's hard to even remember the frustration. Today, it feels like I've known how to play guitar my whole life - it's second nature. I've actually forgotten the many hours of practice and now enjoy playing with ease. It's kind of like a woman who forgets the pain of childbirth when holding her newborn in her arms.

The problem is that practice is not often considered fun. I think the trick to this discipline is to learn how to "practice" without knowing it's practice. Sort of like when I was a kid practicing football without knowing I was practicing. I think the best coaches, teachers, and leaders know how to do this for others. I want to apply this discipline in my own life.

Practicing to make oneself better seems like common sense. But actually applying this discipline to real life is another story.

So, that's why I write today. I'm practicing...

Have a great day!

Jer



No comments:

Post a Comment