Monday, May 23, 2011

Following Ideas

Sometimes writing doesn't take me exactly where I want to go. But I feel like I have to follow wherever an idea leads. The frustrating thing is that I don't know whether I'm wasting my time or mining for gold.

Today, I was at the local coffee shop editing a piece that I've been working on for what seems like forever and I ended up not even getting to it. I just wanted to write/edit for about 30 minutes or so and then get on with my day. I ended up working on something totally different for about five hours. Five hours! I didn't even know it'd been that long until I looked at the clock. And what I wrote went in the complete opposite direction from where I had intended on going. I couldn't steer the ship towards the destination I was aiming. It seemed a new idea had sprung to life, and it had a mind of its own. I could either follow the rabbit trail - or break my stinkin' computer.

Even now, I'm having a hard time concentrating as I write this because I've been thinking and writing all day. I have a headache and I'm frustrated because all I've laid down is the verbal puke, and now I have to clean it up. I hate the clean up.

But I wrote, which is an accomplishment in itself. And I'll write tomorrow, if I can fight through my many excuses. And I'll keep following wherever an idea leads, even if it takes all day - or many days - or even months.

And as I practice, hopefully I'll get a little better at painting pictures with words in order to reveal hope and good news to my friends.

Have a great day!

Jer




No comments:

Post a Comment