Saturday, May 21, 2011

I Pick You!

A couple days ago, our Wyldife group (jr. high youth group) played ultimate Frisbee and Capture the Flag at a local park. I chose two captains, and they began picking their teams. Of course, the captains immediately chose the quickest, fastest players for each team. As the kids got chosen, they cheered and ran to their new team. Being chosen feels great!

As the final picks waited anxiously to be chosen, I felt kind of bad because they looked exposed and frustrated at being picked last. Usually, I have the foresight tell the captains to pick the least athletic kids first (or the kids that no one knows – the outsiders) – but I was in a rush and didn’t think about it until it was too late. We had a great time, but I couldn’t help but think about how the last couple kids felt about themselves when they were picked last.

Imagine being the last person chosen – exposed and all alone. And the captain says, “I guess I’ll pick you,” with no enthusiasm at all. How excited would you be for your team and your captain?

That’s one of the things I love about Jesus. He’s the ultimate captain, and he gives this invitation to be on His team by simply saying “Come follow me.” What’s amazing is that the invitation is for everyone. He invites the outcast and the king, the poor and the rich, the sick and the healthy, the good and the bad. And He chooses us with enthusiasm. He picks us first! The scriptures say it this way: “We love because He (God) first loved us.” (1 John 3:19)

Isn’t that amazing?

We are chosen by the King of the Universe! We are accepted and loved. And He not only picks us to be on His team - He chooses us to be a part of His family.

May we cheer for joy at being chosen and may our gratitude flow through our lives as we share with our friends and family that they've been picked too!

Have a great day,

Jer

No comments:

Post a Comment