Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Hijacked!


Sometimes ideas take a turn.  I have a direction I might be writing, but then it goes a different way than I was intending.  I can’t tell you how annoying that is because most of the time, it goes the wrong way.  Once in a blue moon - it actually goes a better way.  But most of the time - total left turn.  And often, the original good idea is hijacked by some other random idea - and that becomes the main thrust of the writing.

I always thought that writing would be easier than it is.  I thought it would be like traveling from point A to point B.  But it’s not like that.  Often I find myself in a strange town with people I don’t know.  I have this internal compass, but it usually just tells me “you’re not in the right place.”  I wonder if I’ll ever find the right place...

I find that poetry is the opposite.  When I write poems, for some reason they tell exactly how I’m feeling.  They’re usually short and to the point.  And they often reveal directly what I’m trying to convey.  There’s a couple problems with poetry though.  First, most people don’t read poetry.  haha.  Second - poetry has hidden meanings.  Some people just don’t get it. 

I don’t know why I have this need to explain things - like in essays.  But I don’t with poetry.  I just let it be.  There’s a freedom with that.  

I’ve never really tried stories.  I mean, when I was in 5th grade, I got selected to a writer’s conference for a short story I wrote.  But other than that, I’ve focused on thoughtful pieces.  Theology is often a topic I write about cuz it's what swims around in my head.  I’ve written memories down too - and they’re story-like.  But I haven’t even tried just a story story.  

I just get nervous with story because of the time involved in creating one.  But I am interested.  I think I might try my hand at it.

K - see?  I went from ideas veering in different directions - to writing stories.  That is exactly what I’m talking about.  Somehow this blog went from trying to control the writing process to the possibility of writing stories.  hijack!  Every time!

But I do want to try my hand at storytelling.  haha.

Have a great day!

Jer

No comments:

Post a Comment