Sunday, March 17, 2013

Sunday Music #5

Happy St. Patty's day!

After writing my story the last few weeks - I thought of two videos that would help supplement some of what I was talking about.

The first is also an homage to St. Patty's day - U2 (Irish!)  They wrote a song about the troubles in Ireland (Catholics fighting Protestants - or the other way around) and it was somewhat of a protest song about the stupidity of war.  Lots of Jesus themes in it for sure - especially the last verses.  The situation in Ireland - in the 80's - was a great example of Christian hypocrisy and was one of my arguments against religion.  The speech in the middle of the song is pretty kick butt too...







The second is a great picture of how I saw the Church in High School (from the band Genesis).  It's a funny (and sadly accurate) characature of the televangalist movement that was more about money than it was about Jesus.  The line: "Jesus, He knows me, and He knows I'm right!" is a great depiction of what happens when following Jesus becomes a marketing plan - or an argument.

I don't follow a guideline - or a set of principles.  I follow a guide - an actual person.  Jesus isn't an argument.  Here's what can happen when Christianity veers towards "being right":






Hahaha!  So funny.  Love it!

Have a great day!!

Jer

No comments:

Post a Comment