Sunday, March 24, 2013

Sunday Music #6

The first concert I ever went to was at the Fillmore in San Francisco - and the band I saw was The Fixx.  It was awesome.

That trip was also the last time I got to see my Grandma before she passed away.  She was the coolest Grandma anyone could ever have.  She had a really thick Scottish accent and was one of the funniest people ever - she was super witty.  Every time we went to visit her, she'd have chocolate chip cookies and (Lipton) Earl Gray-ish tea ready for us.  Ohhh - and her Chocolate Cream Pie!  Yumm.  She was the best.

I always remember my Grandma when thinking about that concert.

This song by the Fixx is one of my favorite songs of all time.  Don't ask me why - it just is.

I remember when I started writing lyrics, I found the freedom to write nonsense because of this song.   The words didn't have to make sense.  I realized that I could write anything I wanted - anything at all.  It was incredibly liberating.

The first couple songs I wrote had a "first thought" random mentality to them.  Nonsense songs.  What I found out was that sometimes something deep inside came out onto the page.  There's probably some deep psychological thing behind all that - but it's what I discovered.  Often those "first thought" lyrics or poems ended up being the best ones.  Weird.

This song may have some deep meaning to it.  I don't know.  But it's probably more to do with a drug induced hallucination.  haha.  Or maybe not - I really don't have a clue.  But - I like it regardless.  In this constant pursuit of meaning, it's nice to surrender to mystery sometimes.  ha!

I love things that give freedom.  This song did that lyrically and poetically.   Plus - good memories are attached to it too.  It's also got a cool sound.  Enjoy!

Have a great day

Jer




 

No comments:

Post a Comment