Sunday, February 24, 2013

Chasing the Sun


The sky was like fire the other night as the sun fell into the ocean - and we ran to catch it.  I was quickly out of breath - and not because of the beauty.  I am, by no means, a runner.  And to help prove the point, I was clutching my Cinnamon Dulce Latte as I chugged along.  I’m not one for common sense, so my friend Sarah had to point out that I should probably plug the hole of my cup’s lid with my finger as I ran.  “Ohhh! That’s why it’s spilling.” I thought.  haha.  
When you’re out of shape, you can’t breath deep enough to suck the energy you need to keep going.  So - we’d walk, then go, then walk again, then go again.  We even laughed because it was so silly.  Sarah is super athletic, but hates running.  (Well, that’s what she told me anyway, but it’s probably to make me feel better - ha!)  And I am just plain out of shape.  Like I said - the two of us - silly.  And - laughing, while running and holding a coffee?  Not the best combo.

But we kept pushing.  We got some great photos of the setting sun from far away, but we wanted to get to a point where the cliff’s edge opened up and revealed that fiery ball melting into the ocean’s horizon.  

When we finally got to the cliff’s edge, we’d missed it.  We were literally seconds late.  We could barely make out the very top the the sun disappearing into the water, but we missed the full sunset.  It was an “Oh well.” moment and Sarah reassured me, “It’s still really pretty without the sun.”  She was very right. (even though she does of that habit of trying to make the people around her feel better - I secretly think I missed the coolest thing ever!  haha.)

The sky was various shades of red.  The ocean’s water was a strange blue, almost turquoise, and the color orange danced inside the waves.  It was beautiful.  Stunning beautiful.  I don’t live near the ocean - so it was sort of like seeing something with brand new eyes.  I think that’s how we’ll see heaven - with brand new eyes.  

I wonder...how much am I missing in life?  hmmm...

There were other people watching this scene with us.  It’s crazy to think that this scene gets played out over and over again:  the light of day kissing the darkness goodnight.  And even crazier -  God is such a good artist that He’s never content to paint the same painting night after night.  Sarah showed me some photos of another evening that revealed even deeper oranges and reds that shined across the expanse of the sky - a more beautiful night than the one we were witnessing.  Truly amazing.  She said, “you should have seen it in person.  There was every color of the rainbow!  The photo doesn’t do it justice”

What an amazing artist that God is!  Seriously.  How much am I closing my eyes to His stunning beauty?  Makes me wonder... 

Jer


No comments:

Post a Comment