Monday, February 18, 2013

One Condition....


Last night I realized that I’m a conditional giver.  

A group of friends and I were going through a well known story that Jesus tells about noticing the King of Kings within the least of men, and helping Him (Matthew 25).  It’s one of my favorite stories.

It’s funny, as a Young Life leader, we talk about God loving people unconditionally.  And - I think we really do believe it.  I know I try to grasp my mind around that for sure.  The great thing about this understanding of God's love is that it allows us to love kids with no conditions.  Kids don’t have to “do” anything for Young Life leaders to love them.  They don’t have to be Christian, they don’t have to behave, don’t have to go to Young Life - nothing.  We get to love like God loves.

But - last night - we weren't talking about kids.  We talked about the people in the margins of society.  The subject of homelessness came up - and giving help to them.  I think we often don’t give help because we don’t believe a person's behavior will change.  We talked about homeless people's irresponsible behaviors, addictions, how it might be a scam - etc.  All the (sadly) normal stuff.

But in the actual story - there’s no condition on the giving.  What I mean is - Jesus says, “when I was hungry, you gave me something to eat, gave me a drink when I was thirsty, needing clothes and clothed me, sick or in prison, and you visited me.”

The story’s emphasis is in the act of giving.  There’s nothing about the recipient’s response.  

I give and want people to change.  I want them to appreciate - or thank - or get better - or whatever.  But there’s none of that in this story.  It's about noticing the King of Kings in the least of men and women.  I tend to notice my conditions - and not God.  

I give with conditions.

Don’t get me wrong.  I want to give with wisdom.  I’m not gonna give alcohol to an alcoholic.  And the story isn’t about giving money.  I get all that.  But - even so - I focus on my personal conditions on a gift and don’t end up giving anything.  So - I lose on the opportunity to see Jesus.  I ignore Him actually.  grrr.  I esteem Him not...

A gift should never be micro managed.  A gift is free to the one who receives.  The cost of love is paid by the giver, not the receiver.  Costly love.  Jesus type love.  Amazing costly grace...

hmmm...I'm sure I have more to say, but I'll leave it at that.  Have a great day!

Jer



No comments:

Post a Comment