Thursday, February 21, 2013

Instantly Friends!

Got all my bags packed - at Starbucks - getting ready for this travel adventure to Southern California.

Long drive today - 7 hours to Santa Barbara.  Going to stay with a friend for the next couple days before heading off to San Diego.  Tonight I'm going to a college group, really looking forward to it.  I love hearing God type thoughts through different lenses.  Praying I'm not too cynical.  haha!  Cynicism can blind us from God - and that's ugly habit I have.  "Blind me from cynicism!!"  As long as I remember that - I'm usually ok.  usually....ha

Hopefully traffic won't be too bad.  I've only been to Santa Barbara twice, and both times I was pretty much just driving through.  This will be fun.  Tomorrow is explore times.  I'm actually looking forward to the pre-trip as much as the San Diego part.  I love new!  And - my friend from SB kicks A and takes names!!

I read a chapter from Donald Miller's book today about Bob Goff.  It's the chapter about kayaking next to Malibu (Canada - Young Life camp), and hearing Bob's story about world leaders for the first time.  It's kinda a must read.  Makes me believe that almost anything is possible.  Such an inspiring story!!  They used the word "whimsy".  I kinda feel like this trip has a bit of "whimsy' in it.

I'm not one for details.  I always figure that the details will work themselves out.  And - they usually do!! I don't even know the family that I'm staying with down in San Diego.  My buddy is leaving for a Men's retreat for his church while I stay in his rented room.  Random.  He's coming back on Sunday and we're gonna hang out for a couple days.  But - awkward moments.  I hate not knowing people.  haha.  Well - time to make new friends.

Remember making friends when you were a kid?  If you saw a kid playing and walked up to them to play too - you were instantly friends. So easy!  Strange how things change.  Sad how things change - in that regard.  Maybe this is one of those instances that Jesus was referring to when he talked about people having to be like kids to enter the kingdom of heaven.  Heaven is full of friends - I'm sure!

Sometimes the word foolishness creeps in my head when doing random stuff like this trip.  It's a fear based thought.  Weird how often I fight fear.  Fear of the unknown.  Fear of new people.  Fear of failure.  Fear of losing all my money.  haha.  I'm always a bit comforted when I think of Jesus so often saying, "Fear not!".

I have nothing but addresses as I go south.  The address in Santa Barbara - and the address in San Diego.  Only have two phone numbers too.  But - that's about it.  haha.  Whimsy.  Gotta love it.  Well - here goes.  Let's see what kind of story opens up.  Woohoo!

Jer

No comments:

Post a Comment