Friday, February 15, 2013

Valentine's Reflection

Love can become overly sentimental.  I'm not trying to be a kill-joy about love, but days like Valentines really over-romanticize it.  This made up, chocolate holiday highlights all of the good, and none of the difficult.  It's almost like the Disney fantasy of "happily ever after" wrapped up in a little heart shaped candy.

I observed a guy at CVS buying flowers for his wife.  He didn't look happy about it and even joked at the counter about having to try to be romantic or he'd get in trouble.  And this was not a happy face - joking manner - in which he spoke.  It was more like a pissed off face.

How romantic is that?  Getting flowers at CVS and being pissed about it.  Super romantic!  The funny thing is - he was right.  He would get in trouble had he not done anything.  I'm sure when he went home, he put on a smile and acted like these CVS flowers were something he'd climbed over mountains to attain because of the love he has for his bride.  But I witnessed the reality.  In truth, that's a pretty ugly picture of love, isn't it?  CVS?  Anger?  Really?

Don't get me wrong, love should have romantic moments.  Romance is a beautiful thing.  But, love is so much more than that, don't you think?  I surely hope so...  I don't know about you, but I want a love that doesn't abandon me when I'm ugly, sick, in a pissed off mood, sad, or just plain boring.

I used to be a part-caretaker of two amazing little dogs.  Every time I would get home - they'd go crazy with happiness.  I could leave for 5 minutes, and when I got back - crazy happiness!  It was such a pick-me-up.  And whether I was ugly, sick, pissed off, sad, or boring - they were crazy happy that I was with them.  Every time!  The with...

With.  That's a good word for love.

Love always makes me think of God.

Immanuel means "God with us" - which is Jesus.  And the Bible points out that God is love.  And He never leaves us - ever.  And His costly love was given to us while we were at our worst - the very worst of our worst.  And that costly love was revealed through something very ugly, sad, and heartbreaking - the death penalty of a cross.  Blood, pain, death - that leads humanity to real life and true love.

What an amazing love story that is.  Someone loving us while we're at our worst.  Seeing the truth about every part of us - and not leaving - ever.  It's a wonder why God isn't more proclaimed on days like Valentine's day.  He is true love after all.  Isn't Valentine's all about love?

Jesus Christ is the walking definition of love.  He's humanity's best Valentine's gift ever - a gift that lasts all year round, on and on - for all eternity.

Jer

No comments:

Post a Comment